THE WATERLINE SUMMIT 2023
Date: Monday 13th – Wednesday 15th November 2023
Venue: Aura Innovation Centre, Hull, HU13 0GD
Day 1 – Launch Day
Day 2 – Adaptation and Resilience Day
Day 3 – Energy Transition Day
The University of Hull and Future Humber are delighted to be partnering again this year to deliver The Waterline Summit 2023. The three-day event will take place at the Aura Innovation Centre 13th to 15th November 2023.
This year’s theme is about action for decarbonisation, bringing together businesses (small and large), academics, policy makers, experts, influencers and our young people to work together to ensure that the Humber region reaches net zero.
Over 3 days, we are pleased to bring you an exciting programme with knowledgeable speakers and panellists who will be discussing the opportunities and challenges that face us here in the Humber as we work hard to innovate for new green solutions, build resilience and adaption to addressing the rising waterline as a direct impact of Climate Change in our region.
Day 1 Events
Launch Event: 09:00 – 10:30am
Launching the Waterline Summit 2023, this event will bring together international speakers, innovative thinkers, and industry experts as well as key government figures to discuss the crucial role the Humber region must play as the UK’s biggest carbon emitter with the greatest decarbonisation potential.
Positioning the Humber as central to the global climate challenge facing world leaders and connecting the Humber globally.
Host: Clare Hayward MBE DL, Chair of NP11
Keynote Speaker (Online): The Rt Hon Chris Skidmore MP, Chair Net Zero Review
- Henri Murison, Chief Executive, Northern Powerhouse Partnership
- Corrine Barry, East Coast Director, RWE
- Arianna Abdul-Nour, Co-Chair, Cop28 FLN Delegation 2023
- Professor Briony McDonagh, Professor of Environmental Humanities and Interim Director of the Energy and Environment Institute, University of Hull
For speaker profiles click here
Networking and refreshments will be available after the first event and attendees are welcome to join the next event that will follow.
Impact Event: 11:00 – 12:30pm
Action for Net Zero in the Humber
As the Humber continues on its journey to Net Zero, we take a look at how far we have come, how we got here, what there is still to do and how we can achieve it.
The Government has introduced ambitious targets to reach Net Zero by 2050 and the Humber plays a vital role in order to achieve this. The Humber Industrial Cluster omits more CO2 than any other in the country, and is therefore essential to reaching this target. Luckily we are a region full of innovative thinkers and rich in research talent which can be drawn on to ensure we are doing the right thing and moving in the right direction.
We will be discussing how we can ensure a sustainable future through innovation. You will get the opportunity to engage in insightful conversations with SMEs who have been working with researchers at the University of Hull and initiatives such as Oh Yes! Net Zero to deliver their net zero goals and develop innovative products to help them maintain a competitive advantage locally and globally.
Host: Deb Oxley OBE DL, Founding Director, Oxley Works
- Sue Allan, CFO, Willerby
- Dr Sarah Shaw, Logistics and Supply Chain Management, University of Hull
- Lloyd Atkin, Managing Director, Bio-D
- Lizzie Wilkinson, Head of Domestic Product Management, Groupe Atlantic
- Maggie Short, Procurement Manager, Corporate Social Responsibility, Smith+Nephew
- Paul Andrews. Director of Global Energy, Smith+Nephew
For speaker profiles click here
Student Sustainability Challenge & Exhibition: 09:00 – 14:30pm
After the success of the 2022 Sustainability Challenge, this year Phillips 66 Limited and new partner Hull KR Foundation are launching the challenge across the Humber Region. Year 9 and 10 students from schools across Northern Lincolnshire, Hull & East Riding are invited to take part in the challenge and to come up with creative ways to support the country’s net zero ambition.
The challenge, that takes place over three rounds, was designed by the Phillips 66 Limited Humber Refinery Early Careers Network and this year’s final will be at the prestigious Waterline Summit, to be held at the Aura Innovation Centre – Register here
DAY 2 – ADAPTATION & RESILIENCE DAY
- 9am – 1:30pm: Exploring Future Histories: Positive visions for a climate resilient future Register here
- 3pm – 4:30pm: What KTPs can do for your business Register Here
- 4:30pm – 6pm: Humber OSW Cluster Drinks Reception Register here
DAY 3 – ENERGY TRANSITION DAY
- 9am – 10:30am: Innovation and Collaboration: Shaping a Sustainable Humber Register Here